Thursday, October 27, 2011

Year 32 {Clean Cooking #2: Quinoa Burgers}

Have I mentioned how much I love Pinterest?  I just can't seem to get enough and find new ideas each hour day, including the first two recipes for my clean cooking challenge.

For clean meal #1, we enjoyed fried rice,  and now that it is time to take another swing at a clean cooking I decided to try my hand at quinoa burgers.


The best part about this meal was that I already had most of the ingredients in the house and decided to be adventurous and substitute for the ingredients I didn't have, take that perfectionism!


 Here is the recipe I came up with: 


Quinoa Burgers

1/2 cup quinoa, well-rinsed under cold water
1 cup cooked corn
1 dash of minced onion
1 15-ounce can white beans {great northern beans},  drained and rinsed
1 slice of bread torn to bits
1 large egg
1 tablespoon red cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil

Toppings

Hummus
Roasted red peppers
Lettuce
Tomatoes

Directions:

Rinse quinoa. {Essential step for removing bitter taste}


Add rinsed quinoa with 1 cup water to rice cooker. {boiling is an option too}

While the rice is cooking, chop all veggies.


In a food processor, combine corn,
 

cooked quinoa,


egg,


bread crumbs,


red cayenne pepper,


and beans + olive oil



until they are mixed well.


Next, make into patties {note: I put mine in the freezer for 15 minutes to make
for less sticky patty making}

 
and cook approximately 10 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.


Finally, serve on a warm toasted, whole wheat bun, topped with hummus, 
roasted red pepper, tomato and a side of sweet potato chips

 
 and enjoy a delicious burger with a perfect blend of crunchy, sweet, and spice.

Mmmmm...so yummy that even our pickiest eater gave it two thumbs up. 



I linked to a bowl full of lemons.

1 comment:

  1. amazing pictures! and this actually looks delicious. next thing you know, you'll have a food blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...